March 2020 | By Cunard |
Afternoon tea with an Alaska twist. Both sweet and savory options incorporating Alaska’s best recipes and dishes will be offered and paired with Alaska iced tea, champagne and, of course, tea along with the famous baked Alaska!
May this gem of a dessert bring you back to wonderful memories of your Cunard cruise to Alaska or bring you to book your Alaska cruise today!
For sponge cake:
- 150 grams Cake Flour
- 6 small eggs
- 150 grams Superfine/Castor sugar
- 300 ML Chocolate Ice Cream
- 300 ML Vanilla Ice Cream
- 300 ML Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 jar Maraschino cherries
- 130 grams Superfine/Castor sugar
- 3 Egg whites only
- 30 grams Glucose Liquid
- Set oven at 180C/350F
- Brush a rectangular pan with melted butter. Line with parchment paper and brush again with butter. Reserve.
- Using a mixer with whip attachment, whisk the eggs one at a time (incorporating each completely before adding the next one) and sugar until big and pale.
- Fold in the sifted flour and mix carefully. Mix until well blended.
- Spread the sponge mix in the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for approx. 8 minutes or until golden and inserting a toothpick in the center and comes out clean. Cool for at least 15 minutes, then, remove cake from the pan and allow to cool on the rack.
- Once cool, place metal 1 ½-2” rings over the sponge cake and cut out circles.
- Top with a small scoop of each ice cream or a large scoop of one for each cake, – up to you - smooth into a mound and top with a cherry.
- Freeze until solid.
- Preheat the oven to broil and place an oven rack 8” from the top.
- With the whip attachment on medium speed, whisk a small quantity of sugar, a tablespoon at a time, with the egg whites until they become soft peaks.
- Meanwhile, boil the sugar and liquid glucose with a little water to prevent burning. Take it to 118C/245F
- Pour the syrup slowly over the whisking whites and then continue whisking until cold and thick.
- Place meringue in pastry bag with large tip and pipe quickly over the frozen sponge cake and ice cream, covering everything.
- Place on a baking tray and bake under broil until golden about 2-6 min. Serve immediately.