Everyday Pad Thai
April 2019 | By Holland America Line |
Holland America Line guests can experience America’s Test Kitchen’s enticing array of live onboard cooking shows and hands-on workshops. Learn foolproof techniques and user-friendly recipes for making delectable dishes with confidence. Designed exclusively with Holland America Line, this new culinary programming is currently available on select ships.
- ⅓ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 serrano chili, stemmed and sliced thin
- 2 radishes, trimmed and cut into 1½-inch by
- ¼-inch matchsticks
- 8 ounces (¼-inch-wide) rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons tamarind juice concentrate*
- 1 pound large shrimp (26 to 30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts minced, dark green parts cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 4 ounces (2 cups) bean sprouts
- ¼ cup roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Lime wedges
*If you cannot find tamarind, substitute 1⅓ tablespoons lime juice and 1½ tablespoons water and omit the lime wedges.
- Combine vinegar and chili in bowl; set aside.
- Combine ¼ cup water, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon sugar in small bowl. Microwave until steaming, about 30 seconds. Add radishes and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Bring 6 cups water to boil. Place noodles in large bowl. Pour boiling water over noodles. Stir, then let soak until noodles are almost tender, about 8 minutes, stirring halfway. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain well, then toss with 2 teaspoons oil.
- Whisk fish sauce, tamarind, and 3 tablespoons sugar in bowl to dissolve sugar; set aside.
- Remove tails from 4 shrimp. Cut shrimp in half lengthwise, then cut each half into ½-inch pieces; toss with ⅛ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon sugar. Arrange in single layer on plate; microwave at 50 percent power until shrimp are dried and reduced in size by half, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add dried shrimp and cook until golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in now-empty skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add minced scallions and garlic and cook until garlic is golden brown, about 1 minute. Transfer to bowl with dried shrimp.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in now-empty skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add whole shrimp in even layer. Cook, without stirring, until shrimp turn opaque and brown around edges, 2 to 3 minutes, flipping halfway. Push shrimp to sides of skillet. Add 2 teaspoons oil to center, then add eggs to center. Using rubber spatula, stir eggs gently and cook until set but still wet. Stir eggs into shrimp and cook, breaking up large pieces, until eggs are fully cooked, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer to bowl with scallions and shrimp.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in now-empty skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add noodles and sauce and cook, stirring and tossing often, until noodles are tender and have absorbed sauce, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to bowl with shrimp mixture. Add 2 teaspoons chili vinegar, drained radishes, scallion greens, and bean sprouts and toss to combine.
- Transfer to platter and sprinkle with peanuts. Serve immediately with lime wedges and remaining chili vinegar.
Interested in experiencing America’s Test Kitchen? You can with Holland America Line, which is hosting specially themed cruises alongside...
Want to make your palate sing on your next international adventure but without the stress of making it happen on your own? An increasing number...