Secluded Shores & Sun-washed Cities
October 2019 | By Globus | 5 minute read
The Mediterranean’s sapphire sea lure travellers in and convinces them to stay a while.
But beyond the azure waters lie tiny, whitewashed villages nestled against sandy shores, marble-clad fortresses and winding chains of turquoise waterfalls: places loved by locals. In 2020, Globus and Cosmos are unveiling 11 “Undiscovered Mediterranean” tours – including six NEW vacations, ranging from 8 to 19 days – that invite Canadians to dive deep into the blues of the Mediterranean’s secluded seaside towns and medieval alleyways where cities, seas and cultures connect.
“These lovely tours are perfect for the traveller who wishes to explore beyond the ‘usual’ tourist destinations, to experience small villages, winding roads, and take time to connect with the locals,” says Stéphanie Bishop of the Globus family of brands. “We will take them where the other tour companies don’t go, and where the cruise ships don’t visit.”
Exciting itineraries include (all prices in Canadian dollars and excluding airfare):
NEW! Greek Island Adventure (8 days, priced from $2,499)
On this new vacation, a high-speed ferry whisks travellers away to the lesser-known isles of Greece (they will see NO cruise ships here), to slow down and savour the unparalleled views, unhurried villages and undeniable vibrancy of this special corner of the world.
- Bask in the beauty of Paros, a slower-paced island of whitewashed villages (aka “mini Mykonos”), and admire the flawless white marble once mined here on a guided visit to 4th-entury “Church of 100 doors” – a significant Byzantine ruins site.
- Discover Naxos, the greenest of the Greek Isles, to delight in its natural beauty and explore the labyrinth of Old Town while tasting the island’s ripe olives, buttery cheese and citrus-infused Kitron liqueur.
- Explore Heraklion, a modern city with a window to the past. Here, an expert guide will lead travellers through the Minoan art-filled Archaeological Museum and impressive Bronze Age settlement of Knossos.
- This vacation overnights in Athens, Heraklion, Naxos and Paros.
NEW! Eclectic Aegean with 7-Night Cruise (11 days, priced from $3,829)
Travellers will cruise into the blues as they set sail on the Aegean for Greece and Turkey’s most brilliant coastal cities, waterfront villages and tiny isles. Expansive views and wide-open days place them at the helm of a Mediterranean adventure.
- Uncover 4,000 years of archeology beyond the cobblestone lanes of lively Canakkale.
- Experience Mykonos, its charming windmills and shop-lined streets before relaxing at a shaded taverna for an afternoon of “ahhs.”
- In Volos, take a scenic hike along Centaur’s Path to admire the winding streams, wooden bridges, stone paths and abundant wildlife.
- Mixing the best of land and sea, another highlight of this journey is a 7-night cruise aboard the Celestyal Crystal cruise ship.
NEW! Southern Italy & Greece with 4-Night Cruise (19 days, priced from $6,079)
Compare the coasts, culture and cuisine of three magnificent countries on this laidback land and cruise tour. Sunrises and sunsets, vino and ouzo and cannoli and baklava are all in store as travellers make their way from Sicily and Southern Italy to glorious Greece and the Turquoise Coast of Turkey.
- Spend time exploring the Sassi, Matera’s neighbourhoods of prehistoric cave dwellings – many now converted into museums, shops and hotels – before enjoying a farm-to-fork experience at a traditional agriturismo.
- Just as sweet as the wildflower, thyme and fir honey, the quiet coastal town of Itea is known for waking up to both mountain and ocean views. Spend two nights in this charming village – a highlight of this Mediterranean vacation.
- In Agrigento, meet your Local Guide for a spectacular walk through the Valley of the Temples.
- If adding the sea cruise extension, a relaxing day and fascinating nights await in Rhodes, one of the largest and most beautiful of Greek Islands.
- This vacation includes overnights in Palermo, Catania, Cosenza, Matera, Lecce, Itea and Athens.
“We are also launching new Undiscovered Mediterranean tours with our value-brand escorted tour company Cosmos,” says Bishop. “They incorporate more free time to explore as you wish and soak up the local ambience, far from the crowds”
NEW from Cosmos! Discover the Eastern Med (11 days priced from $2,159)
Starting in the walled city of Dubrovnik, used in the filming of Game of Thrones, and ending inside the famed walls of Rome’s gladiatorial Colosseum, this vacation packs in even more fun and games through the less-travelled Mediterranean countries of Montenegro and Albania.
- Discover the architectural and atmospheric port of Budva. Here, in this seaside citadel, enjoy time at leisure. Consider sipping the region’s honey brandy or indulging in the catch of the day.
- Explore Shkodra, one of the oldest cities in Europe and one of the most beautiful in Albania. The pastel-painted Old Town is known as the City of Bicycles.
- End an overnight ferry ride across the Adriatic Sea in the historic port city of Bari. While here, weave through the maze of picturesque side streets toward the Basilica of St. Nicolas.
- This vacation includes overnights in Dubrovnik, Budva, Tirana, Bari and Rome
And, for those looking for more of an à la carte option, the Globus family of brands’ Cosmos Lite vacations offer a hassle-free way to discover the Mediterranean. Cosmos Lite combines all the classic components of a hassle-free escorted tour (motorcoach transportation, accommodation and services of a Tour Director) with a new concept: every day is free to explore – or relax – as you wish. With the freedom to tailor each day according to individual travellers’ interests, budgets and pace, Cosmos Lite is unveiling two NEW “Undiscovered Mediterranean” Vacations:
- NEW from Cosmos Lite! Nice to Lyon Explorer (8 days, priced from $1,189) with overnights in Nice, Aix-en-Provence, Orange and Lyon.
- NEW! Greek Explorer & Aegean Islands Cruise (12 days, priced from $2,379) with overnights in Athens, Vytina and Patras.
DEAL ALERT: Book by December 2 this year and SAVE 10% on Globus 2020 Europe vacations!
The rise of online travel booking popularity has brought attention to many risks travelers are now learning about the hard way. When you take...
It’s no secret these destinations are current “hot spots.” But if you’re an adventure seeker looking to maintain the thrill minus the...