Your Destination Wedding Planning Checklist
May 2018 | By Alynn Roy | 2 minute read
Planning a wedding can be trying at the best of times, but try throwing a wedding in an unfamiliar destination – even the smallest tasks can suddenly become overwhelming.
This checklist should give you an idea of what to do in the lead-up to your destination wedding to bring the stress levels way down, especially if you use the services of a Destination Wedding travel specialist.
9 Months – 1 Year Before Wedding
- Determine your budget – including any wedding related costs, travel expenses and your accommodation. HINT: Many couples are also concerned about what their guests will be paying and will sometimes determine a guest budget as well.
- Contact a travel agent to help plan the big event.
- Choose a wedding destination, location, and date (the earlier, the better!).
- Choose your wedding party.
- Create a guest list.
- Send out a Save-The-Date notice to guests.
- Block rooms and air seats.
- Shop for a wedding dress.
- Select wedding package/style. Discuss any add-ons you want to the package or customize the wedding package with your own personal style.
- Work with your travel agent to find a caterer, florist, make-up artist, hair dresser, and wedding cake specialist at the location.
6 – 9 Months Before Wedding
- Create a Honeymoon Registry.
- Send our formal wedding invitation with details.
- Confirm rooms and air seats.
- Confirm your wedding ceremony location, if not already done.
- Confirm dinner/reception area with the resort.
- Launch a wedding website.
- Choose an Officiant.
- Book a photographer.
- Select attire for your wedding party.
- Research excursions for your wedding group.
4 – 6 Months Before Wedding
- Finalize food menu, décor, flowers, cake, etc.
- Confirm hair and make-up appointments on wedding day.
- Make sure passports are in order.
2 – 4 Months Before Wedding
- Plan welcome party & rehearsal dinner (if required).
- Prepare welcome letter for your guests.
- Purchase items for welcome bags
- Confirm honeymoon plans.
1 Month Before Wedding
- Write your vows.
- Finalize wedding ceremony
- Create any signs needed.
2 Weeks Before Wedding
- Re-confirm flight & hotel booking.
- Review and a final confirmation on wedding details.
- Create a seating chart & place cards.
- Create your wedding program for guests.
On Arrival At Your Wedding Resort
- Meet with the location’s wedding coordinator, go over wedding details and an inspection of your ceremony and reception sites.
- Apply for marriage license (sometimes this can be done ahead of time, ask your travel agent for details).
Have the time of your life…it’s your wedding day!