April 2018 | By Cunard |
“Meals are one of the main events on an ocean liner, setting the tone of succeeding days.”
Enjoying a leisurely dining experience on board Queen Mary 2 is the epitome of luxury. All starts with the first course. Why not indulge in a taste of this exclusive privilege in the comfort of your home with this delicious recipe from the world’s finest liner.
- 8 ounces (100 gr) Puff pastry dough
- 2 small fresh eggs
- ¼ teaspoon (½ gr) fine salt
- 4 cups (300 gr) medium button mushrooms, chopped
- 5 (75 gr) banana shallots, chopped
- 2 (5 gr) garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 gr thyme, stems pulled off
- ¼ cup (60 ml) white cooking wine
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 small fresh eggs, yolks only
- 1 cup (225 gr) unsalted butter, clarified
- Juice of ½ lemon (5 gr)
- l½ tsp (2.5 ml) black truffle oil
- 4 tbsp (10 gr) chopped flat parsley
- 24-40 fresh quail eggs, boiled 2 min (3-5 each plate)
- Roll out puff pastry thinly to 1/8 inch; cut into 8 rounds with the large (4”) cutter. Re-rolling the pastry if necessary.
- Egg wash with egg yolk only and put in the fridge for 30 mins. Prick with a fork and egg wash again.
- Place silicon paper on top of baking sheet and bake for 12 mins until cooked crispy and golden brown.
- Sweat shallots and mushrooms until dark in colour (about 15 mins);
- Add the wine, garlic cooking until all the wine has evaporated and finish with the chopped thyme.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites and place yolks into a round bottom bowl, add the white wine vinegar.
- Whisk over bain Marie until the yolks are well cooked forming ribbons.
- Remove from the heat and slowly add in the clarified butter until fully incorporated; finish with lemon juice, salt, pepper, truffle oil and chopped parsley.
- Lay each tart base on a plate; spoon mushroom filling on top and warm through in the oven for 2 minutes.
- Put 3-5 poached quails eggs on each tart & top with Truffle Hollandaise sauce.
- Serve with small greens like Mâche.
Use only a high-quality whole-milk ricotta for this recipe; our preferred brand is Calabro.