Spotlight on Asia’s Rivers
November 2017 | By Susan Milne | 2 minute read |
Exotic Asia beckons travelers with so many alluring features. What better way to experience this exciting continent than on a river cruise? The legendary rivers of Asia take you from vibrant modern cities to life along the river banks, unchanged for centuries. Travel in the slow lane on a river cruise to gain a unique view of Asia.
The Yangtze, Mekong, Irrawaddy and Ganges; Asia’s rivers are timeless wonders meandering through stunning landscapes while reflecting the history and culture of the continent.
The river ships of Asia offer a luxurious and comfortable home away from home to take you on this exciting journey. Meticulously crafted, these state-of-the-art vessels offer a range of accommodation and public rooms. Most feature a spa for relaxing after a day of sightseeing. Dining rooms and lounges have panoramic views of the passing scenery. See this month’s Cruising article for more on these wonderful vessels.
Another alluring draw of river cruising is the all-inclusive pricing. As well as accommodation and fine dining, fares include beverages, shore excursions and Wi-Fi. It’s not only a great adventure; its great value!
So, what are the routes you can take?
- In China, river cruise packages take you between Beijing and Shanghai allowing you time to explore these two cities with a Yangtze River cruise in between.
- In Vietnam and Cambodia, sail between Ho Chi Minh City and Siem Reap, gateway to Angkor Wat, along the Mekong River.
- In Myanmar, sail from magical Bagan to Bhamo along the Irrawaddy River with time in Yangon, pre and post cruise.
- In India, your river cruise package includes a land tour of India’s Golden Triangle - New Delhi, Agra, Jaipur – which includes the famed Taj Mahal, along with a Ganges River cruise round-trip from Kolkata.
River cruise packages can also include pre and post-cruise stays in additional cities and countries by adding the following extensions to your river cruise:
- Hanoi, Sapa or Bangkok to your Mekong River cruise.
- Tibet or Hong Kong to your Yangtze River cruise.
- Delhi, Udaipur and rural Rajasthan to your Ganges River cruise.
- Bangkok to your Irrawaddy River cruise.
There’s so much to experience and observe on a river cruise along these famed waterways, it makes an Asia river cruise vacation a rewarding, multifaceted adventure. From visiting World Heritage sites to authentic cultural encounters, there’s a rich collection of experiences on every Asia river cruise. See this month’s Top Ten List to learn more about the incredible sights you can see.
Forget the harried crowds and joyless chore of holiday shopping at the mall. Instead, revel in all that makes the festive season magical at one of...