Experiencing the Mediterranean
May 2017 | By Susan Milne | 3 minute read |
Experiential explorations abound on a Med cruise! Ashore and on board you’ll have a range of enticing excursions and activities to choose from every day. Get to know the culture, history and way of life as you participate in some incredible opportunities to experience the real Mediterranean.
Cuisine is top of the list of "must do" cultural experiences. With programs like Oceania’s Culinary Discovery Tours™ you can immerse yourself in the cuisine of your Med destinations, some of the finest culinary hot spots around! Excursions like these are certainly not to be missed:
- From Marseille, travel to the market in charming Aix-en-Provence with Michelin Chef Reine Sammut then enjoy a cooking demonstration and lunch at the Auberge La Fenière.
- From Livorno, meet your Culinary Center chef and local guide for shopping at Livorno’s central market before taking a picturesque drive through the Tuscan countryside to Torre a Cenaia winery. Learn how to prepare two traditional Tuscan snacks, focaccia and cantucci in a class with the winery’s chef. Then prepare pizza in a traditional brick oven to enjoy with your Tuscan wine.
On board your ship, food and wine tastings of local specialities enhance the culinary experience across the Med. Dinner and wine menus will feature some local dishes. Participate in cooking classes and tastings of food and wine from the regions you call at during your cruise.
From Barcelona to Athens you are met with a rich collection of historic and archeological sights as well as art and architecture that will enthrall you. There is so much to absorb and learn about and your ship’s excursions will make sure you do. Led by experienced and superbly educated local guides, you’ll gain insight into your destination and its way of life without having to worry about any of the logistics of getting around. Excursions depart right from the ship and return you to the ship on time making exploration easy.
But it’s not just about seeing the sights. With experiential explorations, you are more in touch and better informed:
- Don’t just take photos of the leaning tower of Pisa: Climb it! Active adventures give you a unique perspective of your destination.
- Discover the avant garde buildings in Valencia or stunning Gaudi sights in Barcelona with an architect as your guide. Special interests are very enriching.
- How about hiking to the summit of Mount Vesuvius or the coastline of fabulous Cinque Terre? Boat rides to Capri’s Blue Grotto or Corfu’s Caves of Paxos anyone? Get in touch with nature and feel the real Mediterranean.
- Private touring lets you spend as much or as little time at the sights of your choice and often means you’ll beat the crowds. Behind the scenes experiences can also be arranged. No wonder this more intimate way of touring is growing in popularity!
If you can’t find what you want to do in the cruise line excursions, our On Location partners are on hand to arrange any special requests you might have. Private touring, event tickets, and behind the scenes experiences are their specialty and they’ll pick you up right at the ship, or from your hotel on your pre or post-cruise stay.
Cruising the Mediterranean brings you a range of unforgettable and inspiring experiences. This is a destination that is perfect for cruising with its combination of island hopping, scenic spots, ancient cities and myriad of things to see and do. It’s definitely a vacation you should enjoy at least once.