April 2017 | By Cunard |
Served at afternoon tea each day on board Cunard.
- 8 oz self-rising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 oz butter
- 1 oz sultanas (golden raisins)
- 1 oz superfine sugar
- 5 fl oz milk
- Heat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
- Stir in the sultanas, sugar, and then the milk to get a soft dough; rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 3/4 inch thick. Use a 2-inch cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve with butter, good jam, and maybe some clotted cream.