Cruising Australia & New Zealand
April 2017 | By Susan Milne | 3 minute read |
Including a cruise in your vacation plans for Australia and New Zealand is a very special experience. There are many unique places down under that are best experienced from the deck of a ship. Sailing from port to port gives you a unique view of cities, coastlines, islands and the natural beauty these countries are famous for.
Cruising opportunities continue to increase as more ships offer new and exciting itineraries around Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific. The options are many and varied with cruises from a few days to lengthy world cruise segments!
Sailing from Sydney's iconic harbor is wonderful! This is one of the world's greatest harbors and you'll sail beside the famed Opera House and Harbour Bridge as you take in spectacular views of the skyline and suburbs of this beautiful city.
There are many other departure ports as well.
- Sail from Brisbane on cruises to the islands of the South Pacific, Queensland, Asia and around the Top End to Fremantle.
- From Melbourne to Tasmania, New Zealand, or right around Australia.
- From Fremantle (Perth) to Asia or to Sydney, either along the southern coast or around the Top End, an itinerary that may include Bali and New Guinea.
- From Auckland to the South Pacific or around New Zealand calling at towns and scenic locations en route to Fiordland, Tasmania, Melbourne and Sydney.
Your ports of call are all very different, each with its own identity. There's definitely no shortage of things to see and do:
- Go wine tasting in the world class winery regions of Marlborough and Hawke’s Bay, New Zealand or Australia's Yarra Valley (Melbourne) and Tasmania's Derwent Valley (Hobart).
- View animals in the wild in the Otago region around Dunedin, New Zealand, or, how about crocodile hunting from Port Douglas or Darwin, Australia?
- Top cultural spots include Rotorua, near Tauranga, New Zealand as well as the Aboriginal cultural parks near Cairns, Queensland.
- Scenic beauty abounds! New Zealand's Milford, Doubtful and Dusky Sounds provide one of cruising's most spectacular days. Tasmania's National Parks, Queensland's Great Barrier Reef, coast and islands, plus hilltop views from so many port cities give you a panorama of these stunning countries.
- Active adventures are available in every port of call from hiking tracks in New Zealand to scuba and snorkeling in Queensland to riding a camel in Broome.
Include a cruise in your vacation plans, or focus on the cruise and extend your time with a pre or post-cruise stay. The Red Centre, Great Barrier Reef and Southern Alps are most popular but there are many more exciting places off the beaten track in every corner of these remarkable countries.
Cruising down under is definitely something worth including on your dream trip to Australia and New Zealand.