On Location in Jamaica
November 2016 | By Susan Milne | 4 minute read |
Visiting Jamaica offers a wide range of options for accommodation, activities and special events. We caught up with Myrtle Dwyer, Director of Sales & Marketing at Glamour Destination Management to find out more about vacationing on this island that has long been a perennial favorite. Glamour, our On Location partner, is a pioneer in Destination Management Services in the Caribbean, established over 20 years ago. From Destination weddings to volunteer activities, they can arrange it for you.
Q: What’s new on Jamaica for travelers?
Jamaica continues to remain top of mind for travelers from all across the globe. The trend continues for all-inclusive resorts with new rustic cottages, over water suites and boutique resorts also being added –
- Melia entered the destination for the first time with the opening of Melia Braco Village, located 30 minutes from Sangster International airport.
- Moon Palace Jamaica Grande in Ocho Rios is also a new addition.
- Riu Hotels will have a new resort in Montego Bay the start of the winter season.
- Royalton White Sands will have a new resort next door with the opening of Royalton Blue Waters and Royalton Negril opens at the end of this year.
- Marriott Hotels debuted in Kingston.
- Breathless Resort is a new addition, adjoining Secret Resorts.
- Boutique resorts are also in vogue and the Cliff Negril opened recently.
- Coyaba Beach Resort is being rebranded as a Zoetry Resort.
- Sandals Resorts introduced the first set of over water suites at Sandals Royal in Montego Bay.
- Golden Eye added new rustic cottages to its inventory.
- Treasure Beach, the home of community tourism has made its mark being led by Jake’s Hotel.
Q: Do you offer tours for cruise passengers with pier side pickup and drop off?
Glamour DMC offers shore excursions from all ports in Jamaica but mainly from Ocho Rios, Montego Bay and Falmouth. The idea is to seek activities that are not crowded with other cruise passengers.
Q: Tell us about the most popular and unique tours on Jamaica.
Culture and community tours have taken center stage in more recent times.
A trip to Nine Miles, St Ann or Bluefields, Westmoreland will lead to the birthplace of the Reggae icons Bob Marley or Peter Tosh.
Kingston is famous for tours to the sunken former capital of Jamaica, Port Royal which was destroyed by earthquake, Trench Town Yaad to learn even more about Bob Marley and Peter Tosh and National Heroes Park amongst other historical sites.
Treasure Beach on the south coast is packed with adventure – a tour on an open boat to the famous Pelican Bar located on a sand bank, Appleton Estate Rum Tour, YS Falls and Black River Boat tour.
At Negril, JAMWEST adventure park provides exciting ziplining, ATV, Jeep Safari tour or test-drive your own sports Rx Mazda on their raceway or spend a day on seven mile beach at Boardwalk followed by a sunset at Rick’s Café.
Q: What type of accommodation and meals are included on your 4 - 7-day itineraries?
Itineraries are customized based on clients’ desires and could be all inclusive, luxury resorts or simple bed & breakfast accommodation. Breakfast and dinner are included with the possibility of doing lunch. We know the island well so we make the recommendations but a great taste of Jamaica is guaranteed.
Q: What do your destination wedding and romantic getaway packages include?
All weddings and romantic getaways are designed based on the needs and wishes of our couples. We have the ability to source appropriate accommodation, location for parties, rehearsal dinners, ceremonies and receptions; Entertainment, décor and Officiant.
Q: Can you arrange any volunteer activities for travelers while they are in the Caribbean?
Our company launched "Partnership with a Mission" many years ago. The aim was to facilitate activities for visitors to our island, with an interest in offering community aid. Our focus has mainly been on schools, children’s homes and homes for the aged.
Q: What are the most popular special interest tours you offer?
- Rafting on the Martha Brae or Rio Grande Rivers – Rafts are made out of bamboo and skillfully piloted by a raftsman
- Falmouth Culinary Tour – A true taste of Jamaica; Blue Mountain Bicycle Tour
- Black River Safari Tour
- Appleton Estate Rum Tour
- Rastafari Village
- Ahhh… Ras Natango Art and Garden Tour
- Luminous Lagoon Tour by night
- Accompong Town Maroon Tour
- Blue Mountain Coffee Tour
We take the hassle out of travel today with our private transfers and or tours so you can focus on enjoying your vacation in Jamaica.