Spotlight on Hawaii
December 2015 | By Susan Milne | 3 minute read
The Hawaiian Islands welcome visitors with warmth and charm – the “Spirit of Aloha”. It’s easy to slip into the laid back Polynesian way of life. The hard part is deciding what to do each day Hawaii offers so much for a fun, active vacation!
Six of the Hawaiian Islands welcome visitors each with its own special charm, attractions and activities. While golf, swimming, water sports and hiking are popular on all islands, take a look at these special places, events and things to do on the four most popular islands:
Oahu – The Gathering Place where Honolulu is situated.
- From November to February, the big waves of the North Shore lure the world's top surfers for competition. The rest of us can surf year round on the island's consistent surf. Take a few lessons at Waikiki Beach for the time of your life.
- An outrigger canoe ride at Waikiki might seem more tame but coming in on the waves is an unforgettable, Polynesian experience.
- Hike to the top of Diamond Head, the mountain that overlooks Waikiki, for spectacular panoramic vistas.
Maui – The Valley Isle
- Marvel at the sunrise atop Haleakala, the 10,023-ft. (3,055 meter) dormant volcano, before a thrilling bike ride through magnificent scenery takes you down to sea level.
- Board a whale watching boat to see the thousands of humpback whales that winter here.
- Visit Molokini, a State Marine Life and Bird Conservation District renowned for its exceptional snorkeling and scuba diving. There's a flourishing coral reef teeming with life at this partially submerged volcanic crater.
Kauai – The Garden Isle
- At Waimea Canyon, known as "The Grand Canyon of the Pacific", walk the trails suitable for both experienced and beginner hikers.
- Take a boat tour along the North Shore to see the stunning Napali Coast with its towering cliffs. Watch dolphins and sea turtles swim by and go snorkeling from the boat. It's a magnificent day out!
- Kauai has the only navigable rivers in the islands so why not go kayaking on the beautiful Wailua River through jungle scenery?
Hawaii – The Big Island and Orchid Isle
- Volcanoes National Park is a must! See the volcanic crater of Halemaumau and walk through the Thurston Lava Tube; exhilarating experiences.
- Witness the incredible sight of red hot lava flowing into the sea from Kilauea Volcano. An exceptional experience from your cruise ship, from the Kalapana viewing point or from a helicopter as you fly over this amazing natural wonder.
- Saddle up for a paniolo (Hawaiian cowboy) experience. Horseback ride through open landscapes, go on a cattle drive or ride the historic trail to Kealakekua Bay for swimming, snorkeling and dolphin encounters!
Hawaii is the number two destination in the world for golf. See the Top Ten List for this month for more.
An active vacation in Hawaii can banish stress and put you on the road to well-being so what are you waiting for? Put Hawaii in your plans for your next exciting active getaway to a location with staggering natural beauty and many unique opportunities.
The British Isles are a fertile garden bursting with fresh produce, surrounded by an ocean of seafood, and flavored with exotic traditions...